So, now that I have my basic Slaanesh Marine army listed out, built, and through some preliminary testing, where should I take it? Where do I want to go with it? How do I want to grow it to expand my options and/or run larger lists? Well, there are some things I could already start building right now.
- Chaos Terminators: They’re a nasty unit in my Khorne list, so I have no doubt that they’d also be effective in a Slaanesh list. Is the extra initiative worth the trade-off for the extra attack? Volume of blows is great, but being able to wound your enemy first, and thus blunt their ability to attack in return, is great for survivability. Sure, this unit can’t sweep its foes in assault, but it can still tie them up for a while, and it’s less likely to get swept itself. I have 7 terminators and a terminator lord yet to build, so I have plenty of parts to work with. I might want to look for a Land Raider to cart them around in, but in the meantime I can deep strike them, especially with all the icons I carry around.
- Chaos Bikers: Some bikers running around the board with 5 initiative sounds fun – almost like Eldar in power armor – and I just happen to have six of them waiting to be assembled. The question is, do I bother giving any of them special weapons, and do I upgrade any of them to an aspiring champion? An icon bearer is a must, of course, but everything else is up in the air.
- Defiler: Right now, my heavy support choices are a bit limited; I have Obliterators and… Obliterators. However, I have an unassembled Defiler that would make a nice addition, and unlike my Khorne Defiler, this one would keep all of its ranged weapons. I’m thinking of running the Reaper Autocannon and a Havoc Launcher on it, so that I could fire either one big shot or a number of smaller shots each turn. I’ll need to figure out some appropriate customizations to make the the model itself, though.
- Vindicator: Again, more heavy support choices. A possessed Vindicator, or even a plain one, would be useful on the field. I could have one together in a single evening, but much like the Defiler, I’d have to figure out how I want to customize its look.
- More Noise Marines: I have a couple of spare Noise Marine arms just sitting around, and I have a number of unassembled Chaos Marines, so I could easily throw these together and pad out the squad a bit. It’s a useful add-in if I find my self having 50-100 points spare to use up.
- Chosen Marines: Again, I have spare marine bodies to work with, so it wouldn’t be hard at all to throw a squad of them togther. Having some outflankers would be quite useful, and they’re very customizable. I’d have to get a Rhino for them, though. Of what I can assemble now, they’re at the bottom of the list, but that’s because it’s a list with no real bad options.
As far as things I’d need to buy if I wanted to add them, there’s not much. The main thing that comes to mind is more Lesser Daemons (again, using the old Daemonette model), just so I could run more/larger squads of them to deep strike in and claim/contest objectives. Other than that, it’s a matter of getting more Rhinos for the units that need them, and deciding if I want a Land Raider or not. Still, with everything above, I could easily add another 1000 points or so to the army and have plenty of options to pick and choose from.
Finally, there’s the small matter of my other Chaos Marine army. The Khornite army isn’t bad; it’s just that I enjoy playing the Slaaneshi army more. Storage space is at a bit of a premium, and if I’m not going to use the army much, I might as well sell it to someone else who will. I haven’t done a final tally, but I know I have between 1750 and 2000 points, all assembled, and most of which is primed (apart from one squad of Berzerkers and Kharn himself). I’d prefer to sell it to someone local, as I’d hate to try to pack it for shipping and risk all the various spiky bits getting broken, but if there’s no interest here, there’s always eBay. Keep your eyes on this spot.
And in the meantime, I have to get to priming and painting these guys!
Artwork by jubjubjedi. Used without permission.